Importance of Thenvarikka
Thenvarikka is one of the sweetest jackfruit varieties from Kerala. It is very popular for its sweet taste as ‘Thenvarikka’ literally translates to ‘honey jackfruit’.
Jackfruit is a rich source of vitamin, minerals, phytonutrients, carbohydrate, electrolytes, fiber, fat and protein. This fruit also contains calorie but no cholesterol or saturated fats. Consume jack fruit for the best taste, nutrition and its many health benefits.High Vitamin C in Jackfruit Optimizes Immune System. Jackfruit is a rich source of dietary fiber that makes it a bulk laxative. This helps to improve digestion and prevents constipation.The jackfruit tree is a widely cultivated and popular food item in Kerala. Many varieties of Jackfruits can find in Kerala. Varikka chakka, Then varikka, Sindoora Varikka, Pazham Plaavu are the main varieties.
How does it taste?
- The fruit is very sweet and tastes like honey.
- The flesh is golden yellow in color.
- One fruit weighs around 15-18 Kg.
- It has a long shelf life compared to other local varieties.
- It can bear fruits within 5-6 years of planting.
- The tree can bear fruit in other seasons too.
- One stalk can bear 6-8 jackfruits at a time.
- In a season, a tree can bear 80-100 jackfruits.
- A rich source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Jackfruit seeds may help reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Raw jackfruit helps in type 2 diabetes.
- Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants, that is essential for a healthy immune system.
- It contains substances with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that may also help promote wound healing.